Maltese-English parallel corpus MaCoCu-mt-en 1.0
The Maltese-English parallel corpus MaCoCu-mt-en 1.0 was built by crawling the ".mt" internet top-level domain in 2021, extending the crawl dynamically to other domains as well.
All the crawling process was carried out by the MaCoCu crawler (https://github.com/macocu/MaCoCu-crawler). Websites containing documents in both target languages were identified and processed using the tool Bitextor (https://github.com/bitextor/bitextor). Considerable efforts were devoted into cleaning the extracted text to provide a high-quality parallel corpus. This was achieved by removing boilerplate and near-duplicated paragraphs and documents that are not in one of the targeted languages. Document and segment alignment as implemented in Bitextor were carried out, and BicleanerAI (https://github.com/bitextor/bicleaner-ai) and Bifixer (https://github.com/bitextor/bifixer) were used for fixing, cleaning, and deduplicating the final version of the corpus.
While the TXT format consists solely of pairs of source and target segments (one or several sentences), each segment pair in the TMX format is accompanied by the following metadata:
source and target document URL;
- quality score as provided by the tool BicleanerAI;
- translation direction identification: the source segment in each segment pair was identified by using a probabilistic model;
- personal information identification (“biroamer-entities”): segments containing personal information are flagged, so final users of the corpus can decide whether to use these segments;
- language variants: the language variant of English (British or American) was identified for every segment pair on document and domain level.
This action has received funding from the European Union's Connecting Europe Facility 2014-2020 - CEF Telecom, under Grant Agreement No. INEA/CEF/ICT/A2020/2278341. This communication reflects only the author’s view. The Agency is not responsible for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
DSI Relevance: BusinessRegistersInterconnectionSystem, Cybersecurity, ElectronicExchangeOfSocialSecurityInformation, Europeana, OnlineDisputeResolution, OpenDataPortal, eHealth, eJustice, eProcurement, saferInternet
People who looked at this resource also viewed the following:
- Bilingual corpus from the Publications Office of the EU on the medical domain (EN-NL)
- Bilingual corpus from the Publications Office of the EU on the medical domain v.2 (EN-PL)
- Icelandic-English parallel corpus MaCoCu-is-en 1.0
- Bilingual corpus made out of PDF documents from the European Medicines Agency, (EMEA), https://www.ema.europa.eu, (February 2020) (EN-DE).