Provision of LRs in the ELRC-SHARE repository
The ELRC-SHARE repository is intended for documenting, storing, browsing and accessing LRs that are considered useful for feeding the CEF.AT platform.
You are welcome to document and upload any LRs that you have identified as useful for this purpose. The ELRC action is looking for open data that can be made available for re-use through open data initiatives, but also for commercially available datasets.
The LR descriptions (metadata) are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY) version 4.0 or higher. All LR providers are obliged to allow the harvesting of their metadata.
Anyone can browse the inventory and view the resource descriptions; in addition, they may download resources in accordance to the licensing terms under which they are provided.
Steps to follow for providing LRs
All registered users can contribute LRs via the ELRC-SHARE repository according to the following procedure:
- First register here; a valid email address is required for this process. Once you obtain the account credentials, you can log in and use a simple form (cf. menu item: "Contribute resources") to describe and upload LRs.
- For each LR, you must provide at least a short description and a title in English and upload it in zipped format.
- Following this submission, you will soon be contacted by an ELRC responsible who may ask for further information about the resource and its licensing conditions. During the documentation process, the resource descriptions are considered "internal" and can be viewed only by authorised editors of the ELRC consortium. When the documentation and the licensing conditions under which the resource is provided are finalised, the resource description (metadata record) will be made public through the inventory and the resource itself will be downloadable by users, in accordance to its licensing conditions.
- Authorised users from the ELRC consortium ("editors") are assigned the task of enriching the descriptions of the resources provided by contributors according to the ELRC-SHARE metadata schema (adapted from the META-SHARE schema) and publishing them at the ELRC-SHARE inventory (cf. menu item:"Manage resources"). Each LR description must include the licensing terms under which the LR is provided - cf. below.
Licensing LRs for the ELRC action
Any grant of access to LRs through the ELRC-SHARE repository should include not only the right to read the relevant content but also to allow transformative uses, dissemination and distribution of such resources and their derivatives, according to the needs and policies of LR owners and users.
To limit the complexity of licensing, we strongly advise LR providers to use one of the standard licences, i.e. Creative Commons and open national licences (- cf. table below). If, however, the LR comes with another licence, the licensing terms and conditions must be documented in the metadata so that they are clearly available to all repository users.
A helpdesk facility has been set up for assistance in understanding, choosing and using any of these licences and other legal tools, as well as the metadata required for the documentation of the licence.
The rights of use of the resource, any possible restrictions, as well as rights and restrictions on the original raw data are under the control and responsibility of the resource owners. The repository acts mainly as a facilitator for the search-and-get procedure while providing guidelines and metadata curation activities.
Metadata elements regarding rights of use, availability and distribution are among the mandatory elements of the metadata schema and are shown to users so that they can promptly understand what they are allowed to do with a specific resource. Users are asked to always refer to these metadata before using any of the resources in this repository.
Notice and Take Down Policy
- His/Her contact details;
- The full bibliographic details of the LR;
- The exact and full URL where s/he found the LR;
- Proof that s/he is the rights holder and a statement that, under penalty of perjury, s/he is the rights holder or an authorised representative.
Upon receipt of notification the Notice and Takedown procedure is then invoked as follows:
- ELRC-SHARE will acknowledge receipt of the complaint by email or letter and will make an initial assessment of its validity and plausibility.
- Upon receipt of a valid complaint, the LR will be temporarily removed from the ELRC-SHARE inventory pending an agreed solution.
- ELRC-SHARE will contact the individual or organisation who deposited the material within ten working days from the reception of a valid complaint. The ELRC-SHARE depositor will be notified that the material is subject to a complaint, under what allegations, and will be encouraged to assuage the complaints concerned.
- The complainant and the ELRC-SHARE depositor will be encouraged to resolve the issue swiftly and
amicably and to the satisfaction of both parties, with the following possible outcomes:
- The LR is replaced on the ELRC-SHARE inventory unchanged.
- The LR is replaced on the ELRC-SHARE inventory with changes.
- The LR is permanently removed from the ELRC-SHARE inventory.
- If the ELRC-SHARE depositor and the complainant are unable to agree on a solution, the LR will remain unavailable through the ELRC-SHARE inventory until a time when a resolution has been reached.
The ELRC-SHARE website and services log certain information about every request sent to them. This information is used for system administration and for producing usage statistics. Summary statistics are extracted from this data and some of these may be made publicly available, but these do not include information from which individuals could be identified. Relevant subsets of this data may be used as part of investigations of computer misuse involving this site. Data may also on occasion be used to enable investigation of technical problems on the website. Otherwise logged information is not passed to any third party except if required by law.
From time to time the ELRC-SHARE Service Providers may use electronic forms on this site to gather personal information for purposes directly related to a service, function or activity of the ELRC services. When the Service Provider will do so it will let users know the purpose for which the information is being collected (including if the information is to be published). Completion of and submission of any form on this website is entirely at the discretion of the user.
Data Protection Statement
In using and submitting content on the ELRC-SHARE services, users agree that the Service Provider may use any personal data that users supply through contributing content or by filling in electronic forms. The Service Providers respect users' privacy and seek to protect their personal data.